Welcome to West Michigan Rheumatology
West Michigan Rheumatology, PLLC
1155 East Paris Avenue SE, Suite 100
Grand Rapids, MI 49546
The office is open from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday – Friday, with lunch from 12:15-1:15. (Note: We do not begin answering the telephone until 8:15 am.)
How to Contact Us
Our friendly and knowledgeable staff are available to answer your questions via:
- Telephone 616.459.8088
- Fax 616.459.8312
- Secure messaging through the patient portal
We are located in the medical corridor of East Paris Avenue on the Southeast side of Grand Rapids between Lake Drive and Cascade Road. Use I-96 exit 40 and travel west to reach East Paris. Click the link for More Detailed Directions.
Notice of Non-discrimination
– click the link to read more.
How to prepare for your consultation
- Prior to arriving for your consultation, please fill out the “Patient Registration Form” and the “WMR New Patient Health Questionnaire”. This can be downloaded by clicking the link Download WMR New Patient Packet
- This will save you time answering questions and leave more time with the doctor to address your questions. Be sure to bring both of these with you.
- You may also wish to bring records of any previous evaluation for the problem you think would be useful. In addition bring your regular shoes, orthotics, splints, canes or other adaptive equipment you feel the doctor should evaluate.
- If you would be more comfortable wearing a T-shirt and shorts rather than a traditional medical examination gown, please feel free to bring such attire.
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your appointment time for registration, so that completion of these procedures does not cut into the time scheduled for you to consult with the doctor.
After You Arrive at WMR
When you arrive at our office you will be greeted by our receptionist. She will introduce you to the iPad interface that we use to record new patient documents. Please read the following policies and procedures. You will be asked to sign at the bottom of this page to indicate your understanding.
Using the iPad you will also:
- Confirm your current address and insurance information.
- Give permission for your physician at WMR to treat you.
- Sign the HIPAA form. This from the 2001 HIPAA Privacy Rule (45 CFR §164.500-534) that ensure the privacy of patients is protected while allowing health data to flow freely between authorized individuals for certain healthcare activities. Click the link to read more about our Policies of Privacy and Nondiscrimination Practice.
- Confirm you have reviewed our office policies (listed below).
- Complete a symptoms review checklist and arthritis related function and symptoms questionnare.
- Please arrive on time for all scheduled appointments.
- If you cannot attend an appointment, please call and cancel your appointment at least 24 hours in advance.
- If you cancel an appointment less than 24 hours in advance, you will be charged a late-cancel fee of $30.
- If you do not cancel and do not attend an appointment, you will be charged a “no-show” fee. This fee will be $100 for New Patient appointments and $30 for follow-up appointments.
- We expect you to pay your co-pay when you come into the office for your appointment.
- The patient and/or guardian are responsible for bringing his/her insurance card to EVERY visit.
- You are responsible for all fees if your insurance does not cover our services for any reason.
- We do not participate with Medicaid, as a primary or secondary insurance carrier, and cannot accept this insurance as a payment.
- If you do not pay an outstanding balance in a reasonable amount of time, you may be discharged from our practice.
- If your insurance coverage changes/renews – it is your responsibility to alert the office staff of this change before the time of your appointment.
- All refill requests require at least 2 full business days to be processed. (Not including weekends or holidays)
- Sometimes you will need to attend an appointment before a medication can be refilled.
- If your medication is not covered by your insurance company or if you need a prior authorization/formulary exemption, please have your pharmacy fax us a request with your prescription plan information.
Office hours are Monday – Thursday 8am – 4:15pm and Friday 8am – 12:15pm by appointment only.
When you register at the office prior to your first appointment you will be required to sign to acknowledge that you have read and understand the practice policies for West Michigan Rheumatology, PLLC.
Medical Student and Resident Education
In addition to the education of our patients, we are committed to increasing rheumatic disease awareness of our health care providers in West Michigan. WMR is a key training site for the MSU College of Human Medicine. All of our physicians are faculty in the Michigan State University College of Human Medicine and our practice supports the internal medicine and family practice residencies of Mercy Health St. Mary’s Health System. Most months we have medical students or residents rotate with us in our clinic. This supports an environment of inquiry and collaboration which we believe results in a higher standard of care made available to our patients. We always remain aware that you are the most important learner at WMR.